Sunday, January 10, 2010

"Keep thy shop, and thy shop will keep thee"...

I love looking at other peoples studios/offices/work spaces. My favorites are the ones where I can imagine myself sitting down and being instantly productive. Or, maybe the ones that have a window with a seemingly amazing view.

(left: unknown / right: chicago honey co-op)

I also have a great appreciation for those who make a very very tiny space work for them. It takes a lot of ingenuity to put together a small space that is functional and still beautiful.

(left: crae / right: selflesh)

Oddly, most of the studios I am attracted to have white walls. I'm not sure if it is because most work spaces are simply left white or if it actually is that my subconscious is pulling me toward that more neutral look. I don't think I would ever choose to have white walls for myself. Maybe it is something I need to try.

One of my favorite work spaces of all time is that of Ray Eames. I found a photo of her office several years ago and tucked the file I saved in with all of my "inspiring images" I have collected over time. Every time I see it I get excited. I think maybe because it just looks so real. It is a bit of a controlled disaster! I wonder if she was one of those people who could never find anything - or if her 'mess' was really perfectly organized to her. I like to imagine that she knew exactly where to find every sketch, photo, or creative tool when she needed it. Either way, it is definitely a space that shows a lot of work was done there, and I love that.


No comments:

Post a Comment