Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Gail K

Here is a little peek into one of my favorite stores in Atlanta: Gail K Fabrics!

Gail K Fabrics

I've been shopping around online for fabrics since I decided to take on the
Fall Palette Challenge. I have developed a good idea of what I want, but I'm having a really difficult time getting around to ordering the fabrics I have picked out, because, well - it's a risk and I'm afraid to commit! What if I don't like how the texture of the fabric feels? What if I don't like the way it drapes? What if it is too thick or too thin, or feels cheap!? What if the color is different in person than it is on my computer monitor? These are big concerns, people!

So, I went to Gail K today. Where do I begin with Gail K? For starters, it is a very special place. It is (as far as I know) Atlanta's only independent source for apparel fabrics which, when you think about it, is really quite a shame. We have a few independent quilting/craft fabric shops, but Gail K is a completely different animal, and it fills a very important niche. Inside, you have just about every variety of fabric you might need to make any article of clothing, ever. As you can see from my photo - the goods are stacked to the ceiling. While it can be intimidating to take on Gail K as a shopper, (you really should allow yourself a couple of hours to search through the stacks and shelves and bins) there is a method to their madness. Things are kind of organized, even though they don't seem to be at first glance, and the people that work there are very helpful and can usually point you in the right direction if you are lost.

My only complaint: their hours. They're closed Mondays. All other business days they close at 4pm, except for Thursdays when they close at 7pm. So, I think it might take me a couple more lunch breaks before I find all of the
exact fabrics that I want to sew with this fall. But, at least I'll have a lot of fun looking for them, right?!

I'm hoping to have a plan up soon of which patterns and fabrics I'll be using for
The Challenge. (You know, even if I haven't actually found all of the fabrics yet!) I'm really excited to get to the point where I'm doing some sewing, but I don't want to jump in too soon with a plan that is only half developed. Better to take it slow and be deliberate rather than rush in like a maniac with a pair of sewing shears in her hand...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Katie,

    I completely empathise with your issue about buying fabric online! I also have the same problem in that Madrid is lack of wide range of fabric. Most shops are expensive and their fabric somewhat boring...I am yet to find a good fabric store, which is affordable.

    I spend ages and ages online when buying fabric. I google it, I compare it to different stores, I look at different images of the same fabric, etc. Not only to compare the colours, quality and feeling of it but also the shipping price!

    I agree with your approach to the Fall Challenge. It is so easy to get over excited and produce something with an 'okay' quality. I think there is something nice about 'slow sewing'. I think when the garment comes out nicely done, it is something to feel proud about and not how fast you can make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I completely understand! Atlanta doesn't have a great selection of shops either - just this one store. Thankfully, it's pretty good, but when you see all of the possibilities available on the internet it is diffcult to resist!

    I finally purchased a couple of fabrics I plan to use in a skirt for the Fall Challenge... now I just have to start sewing!

    ReplyDelete